XFce may be dropped by Mandrake :(

William Bouterse bill at bouterse.com
Mon Mar 11 05:48:21 CET 2002

Okay her I am again....

Yes I DO know how to get XFce working fine on Mandrake,
However; as a "testing volunteer" for "as is" situations i.e.
the latest betas and total "balls up" with Mandrake default XFce rpms, they are considering removing it from their 8.2 release....I am
downright disgusted with this move if it does happen...
I will no longer volunteer hundreds of hours a year testing
their product for one thing....Anyhow for those on this list who
use Mandrake and wish to query this "Rumor" to ALL Available
mandrake sites..mandrake.com/mandrakeuser.org/mandrakeforum.org
all Lists, etc
NOW is the time to do so though it may already be too Late.....

How reasonable people can take a perfectly functioning program
and render it unusable is no easy feat....For this I guess they
can be congratulated !!:(

an off the record quote from one of their employees.....
(Please, the following is from an "in-confidence" memo)

>Still have the permissions problem with startxfce and their rpm does not >do our menus.

>But I have been asked to report bad rpms on the first two CDs to be >replaced by backup programs

>xfce and screem head my "bad" list.  Maybe the maintainer will do a >better job next distro.

some of these folks have helped me for years and I know at least one
personally but I just "plain don't get it folks" !!!???
does stress of "the cutting edge and productions schedules" bring bout
situations like this...Well I guess I can disconnect the land-line,
turn off my generator, unplug the battery banks, yank the solar panels down and "go retro" ....:o)
Maybe its time for "good tech is no tech"...

Thanks for listening if you have gotten this far ..

William Bouterse
Talkeetna, Ak
(Will always be an XFce supporter even if "they" pry
the computer from my frostbitten hands) ;o)