how to start xfwm4?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Jun 20 09:36:40 CEST 2002

Hi,

Well, it's a window manager, and just a window manager (that's part of
the redesign of xfwm4, every application does its job, and just its job)

That said, it means that you must start another application to actually
see something.

You can add to your .xfce/xinitrc :

xfwm4&
xterm

Or, better,

xfwm4&
xfce

That way, when you quit xfce (panel), you're logged off.

Note that xfwm4 doesn't (and won't) handle apps icons. You need a
taksbar such as the one that comes with GNOME2 or KDE to navigate
between iconified windows (otherwise Alt+Tab can do the job)

ROX 1.3.x also provides desktop icons if needed.

Cheers,
Olivier.