WP 8.0 and xfwm

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jun 2 02:56:57 CEST 2002

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> Thanks, Olivier.  I think it's actually WP9 (part of the WP 2000 Office
> Suite) which is based on Wine; WP8 is a pure Unix version.  (I have WP9
> and it opens a full screen - 800x600 - window.)

Patrick,

  You may want to consider migrating from WP to something like AbiWord or
OpenOffice. I've used WP for 18 years now; 13 in DOS and 5 in linux. It just
died on me by refusing to recognize the printers that it had seen quite well
for years. WP is a dead product.

  After looking at both AbiWord and OO, I chose the latter only because I
could do envelopes right away, it "sees" all the Type1 fonts I have
installed, and it's better at dealing with winWord than is AbiWord. AW has
the advantage of being only a word processor and loading quickly.

  Since I eventually got used to the WP GUI interface in linux (the console
version never did work for me), I know I'll get used the OO interface, too.
It is kinda' sad to drop an application I know so well, but there's no
support and it just doesn't cut it any more. So despite having paid for a
server license for it, I now have OO installed on the network at no cost and
it's working for all of us. It also does a darn good job -- better than WP
-- in a number of areas.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)