xfce4 quick guide?...:)

Kristian Rink afterimage at gmx.net
Tue Jul 30 15:00:38 CEST 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:59:51 +0200
Alexandre Gilardoni <alexandre.gilardoni at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Le 30 juillet 2002 à 12:50 +0200, Kristian Rink a écrit :
>
> > Btw, I also spent some time messing around with a
> > windowmanager named oroborus
>
>   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME
>   COMMAND
> 32530 alex      10   0  1400 1400  1076 R     0.3  0.3   0:00
> oroborus
>
> ;-))

I see you know what I mean. ;)
Actually, the shop where I am more or less working at is at the very
edge of selling machines preinstalled by default with GNU/Linux
(since my boss thinks that the Windows XP licenses simply are too
expensive for both customers and retailers), and while xfce4 is not
officially available, I chose a mix of xfce3 (the panel, without
xfwm3), oroborus as window manager, the "deskmenu" for handling my
desktop menus and rox as the default file manager / desktop icon
painter. Looks amazing, performs great on all sorts of machines I by
now put my hands on, and is configurable in an amazing way, so we
can build a menu structure that is completely our own without being
tied to an incredible amount of overhead provided by packages like
KDE or GNOME. This sort of flexibility in setup is what, after all
the years, makes me like XFCE even more. :)

Cheers,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   ][  Kristian Rink
what you see - things that ][  irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)