[OT] gtk font trouble ...

Kristian Rink afterimage at gmx.net
Tue Jul 30 14:53:08 CEST 2002

Hello all,...

....sorry probably being off-topic with this, but this problem I am
running through, right now, is sorta annoying and I didn't manage to
fix it, so far.

The situation:
- Debian sid installed w/ XFree86 4.2.0 packages
- XFree86 configured to use the "freetype" module
- having some truetype fonts from x.themes.org installed in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
- the font path is set correctly, same there is a fonts.dir in the
TrueType fonts folder.
- all of the ttf fonts obviously are recognized by XFree86 and
displayed correctly in xfontsel.
- anyhow, only a few of those fonts display properly in GTK+ - based
apps (like XFCE and, where I need them most, GIMP).

I found out that it obviously is _somehow_ related to my LOCALE
configuration, since those fonts work in GTK+ if ( and _only_ if) I
set de_DE-UTF8 to be the locale of my choice, even though then some
GTK+ apps complain about fonts that don't support all UTF-8
characters.

Actually, this is pretty confusing to me, especially since I am
having the same fonts working with GTK1.2 / XFCE / GIMP 1.2.3 well
on my slackware machine at work, so I wonder what is different in my
setup, here. Can someone somehow enlighten me, about this problem?

TIA, have a nice day,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   ][  Kristian Rink
what you see - things that ][  irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)