xfce4 quick guide?...:)

Kristian Rink afterimage at gmx.net
Tue Jul 30 12:50:12 CEST 2002

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002 12:41:31 +0200
Jasper Huijsmans <huysmans at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> >Hmm, looks more or less the same, here. Blame it to GTK2?
>
> Yes ;-)
>
> And me of course for xfce4. But I do try to keep the code as
> simple as possible. It has to be for me to understand it. If I can
> reduce the memory footprint it won't be by much.

No problem... actually, I also spent some time running KDE2 on my
box earlier, and compared to this, I see that XFCE even with GTK2
still is way more slim and more nice to my ressources. So probably
the only moment I'd find out that XFCE4 probably needs a little more
ressources is while looking at 'top', everything else works same as
good as on XFCE3 with GTK1.2. Seeing that, I am even having the
impression that Rox-Filer 1.3.x on top of GTK2 is faster than its
predecessor.

> partly be resonsible for the increased memory usage. I don't think
> you could accuse Olivier of writing bloated software.

Definitely not. I really enjoy xfwm4 by now, and it even works well
on my girlfriends old P-166 machine w/ 49 meg RAM running Debian
sid. :) Btw, I also spent some time messing around with a
windowmanager named oroborus and the config file of xfwm4 sorta
reminds me of the .oroborusrc. Do those two have anything to do with
each other?

Cheers,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   ][  Kristian Rink
what you see - things that ][  irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)