filmanagers

Kristian Rink afterimage at gmx.net
Thu Jul 4 20:28:09 CEST 2002

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 10:55:46 -0600
Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:

> [ snips ]
>
> On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:23:08 +0200 Kristian Rink
> <afterimage at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm, I'm on Debian GNU because of the licensing issue, having
> > vrms an essential application that is installed on all my boxes,
> > so opera definitely is not an option to me.
>
> I must admit that I don't understand "the licensing issue," and
> I'm not familiar with vrms.  Yes, Opera is commercial software,
> but you can run it (with banner ads),  I coughed up the bucks to
> buy a license, but I seldom use it any more because of galeon.

Well... Probably the opera license is, in general, not an issue at
all. Anyhow and as a matter of fact, I got into GNU/Linux from
Windows several years ago not because of the software or the
'hacker' attitude or anything else this direction but, to be honest,
because I spent some time in reading the GPL and the GNU manifesto,
seeing that those writings, no matter how 'fanatical' or
'illusional' some people might call them, are reflecting a lot of my
personal thoughts about those topics, that's why today, for me,
software needs to be able to be included into debian-main to have a
chance of being installed on my hard drive (actually, that's what
vrms - the 'virtual richard m. stallman'- is for; this one's just
checkinc how many packages from debian non-free are installed onto
your system and is bothering / informing you about this :)). That's
why, for _me_, the opera license actually _is_ an issue, and that's
why opera as a browser never would be an option on my box.  In
reference to Joe's posting in this thread: This is my own _personal_
opinion and attitude about those things, other people probably will
have other opinions on the same topic.

Since this probably is neither the right place nor the right way to
discuss topics like this, here, on the xfce list: Feel free to bash
/ flame / contact / talk to me about those things, off-list. :)

> I'll have to give skipstone a try.  It would be nice not to need
> gnome for anything.  Thanks for the tip.

Well, I spent some pretty good time browsing the web with skipstone,
since it indeed _appears_ to handle a little faster; anyhow, it also
seems to be a little more unstable than galeon actually is. It's
working, though. :)

Cheers,
Kris

--
Savour what you feel and   ][  Kristian Rink
what you see - things that ][  irc:: irc.sorcery.net (kristian)