xfce4

Heiko Berges hb-mlist+xfce at bsls.de
Tue Dec 31 12:17:05 CET 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 10:44:31PM -0500, Landy Roman wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 04:32:28 +0100
> MisterMoe <MisterMoe at hackerboard.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > If you would have read the good HOWTO by Jasper some of your
> > questions(almost all of them) would have been answered already.
> >
> > After adding the lines to the .xinitrc you may start xfce4 with
> > startx.

Here are some comments about what is basically wrong with the
script, that may help you, or maybe not.

> #!/bin/sh

Change this to  #!/bin/bash.  This is not part of your problem, but
the script is full of bash'isms and would not work on a real bourne
shell.

> #
> ### Added by xfce_upgrade version 3.8.12 ###

Whoever wrote the update script should think about what he have
done here.

> # Set up additionnal fonts that ship with Xfce (Change
> id38121117)
> xset fp+ "/usr/local/share//xfce/fonts"
> ### End of changes version 3.8.12 ###
> #
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> # .xinitrc
> #
>
> #
> # What we do if we fail at least ... emergency fall back.
> #
> failsafe="xterm -ls -T Failsave -geometry 80x24-0-0"
> trap "exec $failsafe" EXIT SIGHUP SIGINT SIGPIPE SIGTERM SIGIO
>
> #
> # Some bash (1 and 2) settings to avoid trouble on a
> # failed program call.
> #
> test -n "$BASH" && set +o posix
> no_exit_on_failed_exec=1
> type shopt > /dev/null 2>&1 && shopt -s execfail
> set +e > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> #
> # This should be the default
> #
> export TERM=xterm
>
> #
> # choose a window manager
> #
> if test -n "$WINDOWMANAGER" ; then
>     WINDOWMANAGER=`type -p $WINDOWMANAGER`
> fi
> if test -z "$WINDOWMANAGER" ; then
>     if test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/kde ; then
>         WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/kde
>     elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/startkde ; then
>         WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/startkde
>     elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 ; then
>         WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2
>     elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/wmlist ; then
>         for i in `/usr/X11R6/bin/wmlist` ; do
>             WINDOWMANAGER=`type -p $i`
>             test -n "$WINDOWMANAGER" && break
>         done
>     elif test -x /usr/X11R6/bin/twm ; then
>         WINDOWMANAGER=/usr/X11R6/bin/twm
>     fi
> fi
>
> if test -z "$WINDOWMANAGER" ; then
>     echo "Error. Can not find a window manager.  Please install
> one."
>     echo "Exit for now."
>     xmessage -timeout 10 -default okay -center -file - <<-EOF
> 	Error. Can not find a window manager.  Please install one.
> 	Exit for now.
> 	EOF
>     exit 1
> fi
>
> #
> # Load system and users resources if not already done
> # (XSESSION_IS_UP set by xdm in $XLIBDIR/xdm/Xsession)
> #
> if test "$XSESSION_IS_UP" != "yes" ; then
>     XLIBDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11
>     test -r $XLIBDIR/Xmodmap    && xmodmap $XLIBDIR/Xmodmap
>     test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap      && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
>     test -r $XLIBDIR/Xresources && xrdb -load -retain
> $XLIBDIR/Xresources
>     test -r $HOME/.Xdefaults    && xrdb -I$HOME -merge
> $HOME/.Xdefaults
>     test -r $HOME/.Xresources   && xrdb -I$HOME -merge
> [...]

Comment this four lines out:

 # > exec $WINDOWMANAGER
 # >
 # > # call failsafe
 # > exit 0

Otherwise it starts the standard WM and exits.

Handle these as it was told, I don't know about xfce4:

> xfce-mcs-manager
> xfwm4
> exec xfce4

> i did read and i did add it but get that error
>
> how do i start x now
>
> startxfce and no problems

I honestly have no idea what you mean.  As a non-native english speaker
punctuation marks would have helped me a lot.

The fun part is: startxfce usually uses a different xinitrc that doesn't
have the $WINDOWMANAGER stuff in it and is found in the xfce directory.

	Heiko