xfce 4

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Mon Dec 30 08:26:11 CET 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:43:55 -0800, Ken Moffat wrote:

> Justin Zygmont wrote:
> > http://members.home.nl/jbhuijsmans/screenshots/20021127.jpg
> >
> > now this I like:)  looks like version 4 is major rework, I just
> > don't understand why more distros aren't using it by default.
>
> I think it's not yet beta quality; still a lot of work to do, but I'm
> certainly looking forward to it. If they can maintain the same
> responsiveness and dependability, it should be some fun.

IMO, it's rock solid. I regularly pull down code from CVS literally
minutes after it's commited to find major new features that work
perfectly out of the box.

It's fast, stable and looks *really* great. I'd say that the main reason
why distros aren't loading it are:

* it isn't very well known outside the XFce community (even within it
for that matter)

* it isn't feature complete yet. The file manager doesn't do everything
yet, windows disappear if you minimize them [1] and there aren't scripts
to easily get you up and running.

* It's difficult to compete on newbie-friendliness with GNOME or KDE.

Do feel free to try it out.

-- b

[1] This *isn't* a bug: there simply isn't an application to display
icons yet (I hope to fix that soon). You can use the taskbar if, unlike
me, you don't mind using it.