xfce no root window?

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Sat Dec 28 05:13:09 CET 2002

On 27 Dec 2002 16:19:03 -0500, Timothy Wood wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed xfce 3.8.18 on a Red Hat 7.2 machine (using RPMS) and
> I changed my .xinitrc to read
>
> exec /usr/bin/xfce
>
> which is how I run it on my RH8.0 machine.  However when I start x I
> get the drawer panel but nothing else.  The root window stays that
> grey/white checker board, mouse clicks on the root window produce no
> menus ( left right or middle buttons) and when I pop up a window it
> has no border/titlebar and is stuck at (0,0).
>
> I thought maybe it had something to do with configuration files but no
> dice there so I installed xfce4.  xfce4 fixed the third problem, with
> the windows, but the root window problem still remains.

Try /usr/bin/startxfce. Better still run the xfce_setup script for each
user who wants to run xfce. You can run xfce_remove if you don't like
it.

As for xfce4, it is still under development so the helpful scripts
haven't been written yet. You can still get it running pretty well by
putting the following lines in your .xinitrc:

xfce-mcs-manager &
xfwm4 &
xfdeskmenu &
xfbd4 &
xfmouse4 &
exec xfce4

Run xfbd4 -i to change the background image.

-- b