xscreensaver and xfce

Spyros Tsiolis spytsi at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 5 10:51:48 CET 2002

Hello chaps,

I am, finally using my spanking new Mandrake 9.0 liux with my
coloured button xfce wm :-) and a wireless optical mouse from microsoft.
Yeah ! I know ! :-) But let's face it ! when it comes to peripherals
m/s is the best :-)))

Anywhoo, I wanted to ask the list if there is someone out there that
actually managed to make xscreensaver work on xfce.

My problem is that when I log onto xfce as a plain user, eventhough
there exists a line that is suppose to start xscreensaver in the background,
(that's .xinitrc btw), it doesn't do it !

Does anyone know how to fix this ? E.G. on .xinitrc , the following line
exists :

# Launch xscreensaver (if available)
xscreensaver -nosplash

AFAIK, the syntax for this line is correct. However, it won't work.
If you type "xscreensaver-demo" on a shell box, it works. The
"xscreensaver" app starts-up and you have the option of choosing your
favourite screensaver with the added option of locking your station after
a pre-defined time window.

I am trying to get BSOD working (all the neat crashing screens from all
known os's :-) but it doesn't do it for the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

TIA,

spyros

-----
"I merely function as a channel that filters music through
the chaos of noise"
- Vangelis