deleting files

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Sat Aug 31 15:26:37 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 19:40, Mattias Thuresson wrote:
> Back in the Dark Ages a file you deleted from your file
> system was irrevocably lost. Then somebody invented the
> desktop garbage bin, giving users lots of time to undelete
> a file.
> I have noticed for a long time now that when I delete
> folders or large files I get the message (my translation):
> "Can't move files to garbage bin, delete permanently?"
>
> There are many files in my garbage bin, but not _that_
> many. I also notice that none of them are bigger than
> 1MB. What's the deal here?

This is policy for speed and disk space established a while ago. (It may
need to be updated). The rules are that a "hard delete" with happen
(with a double confirmation) on the following:

  1- Folders
  2- files over 1 MB
  3- files which reside on other file systems

Several options exist for updating this policy. I can think of:

  1- An options box to turn on/off or modify each of the above three
criteria.
  2- Put a "put in trashbox anyway" button in the second confimation
dialog (or maybe a sneaky checkbox on the first dialog).

Edscott