adjusting fontsize in xterm

Anthony Ewell aewell at gbis.com
Sun Aug 25 22:52:01 CEST 2002

Thomas Schönhoff wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am running slrn-newsreader on xterm in XFCE 3.8.16, unfortunaltely
> fontsize is very samll. So I have problems in reading the postings.
> Now, where to adjuste fontsize of XFCE- Xterm to increase the
> readability of my postings !? The fonts should be appear in " large" or
> "very large" size !
>
> Thanks

Hi Thomas,

    You can set your xterm defaults in .Xresources (formerly .Xdefaults).
You can also over ride you defaults with the "-fn" switch.  That is,

            xterm -fn 10x20 -fg Blue -gb White &

("-fg" is your foreground color; "-bg" is your background color; "&"
releases the xterm from the original terminal and allows it to run on
its own.)

    The manual page for xterm lists all these ("man xterm").  It can be
a bit confusing, so read it slowly.

    Be forewarned about .Xresources, you must spell everything
correctly!  Here is a peek at my .Xresources:

xterm*colorMode: on
xterm*colorBDMode: on
xterm*colorBD: Blue
xterm*colorULMode: on
xterm*colorUL: Red
xterm*background: White
xterm*foreground: Black
xterm*cursorColor: Black
xterm*reverseVideo: false
xterm*scrollBar: true
xterm*reverseWrap: true
#xterm*font: fixed
#xterm*font: 10x20
xterm*font: 12x24
xterm*fullCursor: true
xterm*scrollTtyOutput: off
xterm*scrollKey: on
xterm*VT100.Translations: #override\n\
         <KeyPress>Prior : scroll-back(1,page)\n\
         <KeyPress>Next : scroll-forw(1,page)
xterm*titleBar: false

Have fun!
--Tony