key bindings to start applications

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sat Aug 17 05:03:04 CEST 2002

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov <d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> writes:

> I've checked the source code. Looks like those geometry specifications
> from the xfwmrc are simply stored into the internal queue, waiting for the
> xfpager to read them. I'd say, the fastest way to debug this, will be to
> build another pager executable, which will print all incoming
> configuration packets. That should be pretty simple: add your
> favorite print statement into xfpager/XfwmPager.c around line 875 (to
> print tline) and check the output (well, the output will be in
> ~/.xsession-errors, or something like this). Just put new executable into
> directory in your PATH _before_ the old one, and restart xfwm.
>
> For example on my machine, I can see the following:
>
> - all xfpager-relates lines are commented out in xfwmrc, xfpager is
> getting only one message:
> ClickTime 300
>
> - uncommented default settings, there are three messages:
> ClickTime 300
> *xfpager.geometry -0+0
> *xfpager.smallfont 5x8
>
> -- modified geometry specification:
> ClickTime 300
> *xfpager.geometry +100+300
> *xfpager.smallfont 5x8
>
> And the xfpager is really at +100+300!
>
> here is the diff file:

Dmitry, should we take this up tomorrow or another day?  Its not
exactly a burning issue.  So if you'd rather get some rest, just say
so.

I used your patch verbatim  since my XfwmPager.c looked just like
what you posted (before the print line).  Running diff -c I get the
exact output as your posted patch.

However, I see no output.  But not sure where to look.  I have no
.xsessions-errors.   I've commented out my xfpager lines about
geometry and font.  After running startx.  I see the pager at
upperleft in the corner.

Running ls -altr on my ~/ to see the most recent modified files
listed last I see:

 .xfceX/
 .vim_x
 .Xclients-default*
 .misc-snippets
 .netscape/
 .Xdefaults~
 .Xdefaults
 .bash_history
  bin/
 .xfce/
 .viminfo
 ./

None of these are the one.  inside .xfce
The xfwm-session file has only this for xfpager

grep -r xfpager .xfce/xfwm-session
.xfce/xfwm-session:  [RES_NAME] xfpager

Do I need to add something to the print line to make it print to
a known file.

I know nothing about C.

In case I've made some dumb error:
Diff created by running diff -c against newly edited XfwmPager and
XfwmPager~ in that order

reader $ diff -c XfwmPager.c XfwmPager.c~
*** XfwmPager.c 2002-08-16 19:40:07.000000000 -0700
--- XfwmPager.c~        2002-01-08 02:29:55.000000000 -0800
***************
*** 872,878 ****
    {
      int g_x, g_y, flags;
      unsigned width, height;
! fprintf(stderr, "xfpager: %s\n", tline);
      if ((strlen (&tline[0]) > 1) && (mystrncasecmp (tline, CatString3 ("*", MyName, ".geometry"), Clength + 10) == 0))
      {
        tmp = &tline[Clength + 10];
--- 872,878 ----
    {