Inhibit Window Raise

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Fri Aug 16 03:52:46 CEST 2002

Well, probably I'll post a small summary (for further details see XFCE
docs: http://www.xfce.org/help/html/adv-wm-management.html)

xfwm has three parameters (along with the others):

FocusMode could be ClickToFocus or FollowMouse, it's pretty obvious, what
it does. This parameter can be changed from the setup dialog window
('window' tab, 'click to focus windows' checkbox).

AutoRaise could be On or Off. If FocusMode is FollowMouse and AutoRaise is
On, than the window, which has focus, will be raised after some time
(delay can be configured with AutoRaiseDelay, but _only_ in the xfwmrc
file). This behaviour can also be configured from the setup dialog
('window' tab, 'auto raise windows' checkbox).

ClickRaise could be On or Off. ATTENTION: by default it is "On" (see your
/etc/X11/xfce/xfwmrc or /usr/local/etc/xfce/xfwmrc). If it's "On" than
_any_ click inside the application window will bring it to the front layer
("raise" it). So, if we have the following layout:

  +----------+                 +---------+
  !          !                 ! xterm1  !
  !  xterm1  !---+  click      ! +-----------+
  !          !   !  inside     ! !           !  xterm2 is raised now
  +----------+   !  xterm2     +-!  xterm2   !
    !  xterm2    !  window       !           !
    +------------+               +-----------+

If ClickRaise is Off, the window will NOT be raised automatically, so we
will see the following:

  +----------+                 +---------+
  !          !                 ! xterm1  !
  !  xterm1  !---+  click      !         !---+  xterm2 is still
  !          !   !  inside     !         !   !  below xterm1
  +----------+   !  xterm2     +---------+   !  though it has focus
    !  xterm2    !  window       !  xterm2   !  and got mouse click
    +------------+               +-----------+  event

The most important part: the only one way to change ClickRaise value is to
manually edit xfwmrc file.

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:24:11 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman at mindspring.com>
> To: xfce at moongroup.com
> Subject: Re: Inhibit Window Raise
>
> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov wrote:
>
> > For the rest -- just click this big blue 'i' and read some docs. IMHO
> > it's a pretty good approach.
>
> I agree - reading docs is always a Good Idea.
>
> > P.S. am I calm? :)
>
> Yes :)
>
> Patrick
>
> --
> Patrick Wiseman                               pwiseman at mindspring.com
> Linux user #17943                             *Google First, Ask Later*
>       With 43 left to play, and up 19 in the loss column,
>                 the Braves' Magic Number is 25!

It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."