Installing xfce4 from CVS

Jasper Huijsmans huysmans at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Aug 4 09:12:48 CEST 2002

Hi Collins,

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:30:51 -0600
Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 00:39:31 +0200 Jasper Huijsmans
> <huysmans at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I wrote a small guide with instructions for building XFce 4 modules
> > from CVS.
>
> Thanks, will try when I have the time.
>
> Just a side note.  What are the intended benefits of XFCE4/XFWM4
> (other than as reported a much larger resource profile <grin>)?

At the moment it's mostly the benefits of GTK2 over GTK1. Basically,
it's  a bit better looking (AA fonts, no flicker) and behaves a bit
better (file selector remembers filename).

On top of that it fits in better with GNOME2 and KDE3 by using the
freedesktop.org window manager hints.

Xfwm4 has much better themeing than the current xfwm.

The panel is just a basic port to GTK2, without some of the integrated
configuration options (no color/font customization). An added feature is
the possibility to use external plugins, but since there are none
written yet this is not a real benefit for the user ;-)

So basically it's more eye-candy, less funcitonality. It's not finished
by a long shot, so I would only use it if you are curious to see where
the development is going.

Xfwm4 s very stable, but for xfce4 I have mixed reports. It works for me
but other people have reported some crashes.

greetings,
	Jasper