Observations on 3.8.16

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 23 17:16:24 CEST 2002

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Are there any options not marked obsolete that don't work for you?

Jasper,

  I've no idea.

> About the window buttons and the borders, have you tried using the mofit
> engine for xfwm. You can set this in the setup dialog, windows tabfolder.

  OK. That's a major part of it. I kept changing the theme engine on the
settings tab. Silly me! :-)

  So, I now hav the shoice of 3D window border buttons or rounded ends on
the title bar and a gradient. I'll live with square ends and no gradient.

> About the panel buttons and screen button colors, to the best of my
> knowledge this should work if you compile with --enable-old-style. Can
> somebody who actually uses the old style confirm this?

  After the first upgrade from 3.7.1 to 3.8.16, I re-installed the .src.rpm.
Then, in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS I made the following changes to xfce.spec:

%build
if [ ! -f configure ]; then
  ./autogen.sh --prefix=%{prefix} --datadir=%{datadir}
--sysconfdir=%{confdir} \
  --disable-dt --enable-gtk-engine=%{gtkengines} --disable-xft \
  --enable-gdm --with-gdm-prefix=%{gdmdata} --enable-old-style
else
  ./configure --prefix=%{prefix} --datadir=%{datadir}
--sysconfdir=%{confdir} \
  --disable-dt --enable-gtk-engine=%{gtkengines} --disable-xft \
  --enable-gdm --with-gdm-prefix=%{gdmdata} --enable-old-style
fi
make

  Now, if that's the wrong place (or the wrong sequence) to
enable-old-style, please correct me.

  Because 3.8.16 was already installed, and (for whatever reason) the
package manager didn't recognize the installed xscreensaver, I re-installed
3.8.16 with the command, 'rpm -Uvh --nodeps --force xfce.3.8.16-?-i686.rpm'.
And here I am.

> Do you by any chance have a .gtkrc file in your home dir that was not
> created by xfce? You could try to move it out of the way and see what
> happens. I don't think this will make a difference though.

  ~/.gtkrc has a mtime of today at 0717. Must have been generated by xfce.
Want to see a copy?

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President