Another upgrade loss

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 19 17:26:53 CEST 2002

On 19 Apr 2002, Ben Hall wrote:

> I, for one, appreciate the HTML docs.  They are _much_ more usable for
> non-techies.  I guess exporting it all as a text file couldn't hurt, but
> I certainly see no need.  I can't imagine a default install anywhere
> without some kind of a web browser...

Ben,

  This is one of the biggest advantages of linux over The Dark Side:
choices.

  I, for another, don't like GUIs. I use 'em because I have to, but I'll
also admit that they make it convenient to have multiple virtual consoles
open on the same desktop. The pointing device is then used to select the
window in which I type. My MUA is pine, my newsreader is slrn, I do most of
my writing in joe then format with LaTeX, my coding is written in emacs, and
so on. Oh, I also bought a couple of the Northgate keyboards years ago that
have the function keys on the left side (where they belong) as well as on
the top (where they are filled with dust from disuse). I've always found it
easier to do function key chords with only one hand (my left), and without
looking, than to do them with two hands because they're spread out across
the top of the entire keyboard.

  Given that there are always more than one way to accomplish (almost) any
task in linux, my preference is that none be denied the user.

YMMV,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)