Problems after installing MDK 8.2

William Bouterse bill at bouterse.com
Fri Apr 12 07:04:27 CEST 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
Jack Coates <jack at monkeynoodle.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Skip Queen wrote:
>
> >  On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Skip Queen wrote:
> >
> > > After installing MDK 8.2 I am unable to use XFCE at all. No matter what I do it keeps telling me it "cannot write to file." Among other things, I keep trying to disable any sound on shutdown because it hangs up the system. I am totally unable to use XFCE and miss it! Help!
> > >
> > Jack Coates wrote: >their RPM is known to be bogus, >check the archives. Download a new one
> > >from www.xfce.org and you'll be fine.
> >
> > Did that already - I took the one from 8.2 off, then downloaded a version from RPMFind and installed it - same result.  Has anyone else had this problem?
> >

> are you in init level 5? does it work if you boot to init 3 and then use
> startx?
>
> --
> Jack Coates

Another method which I have used in the past when all else fails
is to change the permissions and it has always worked..
chown user .xfce/* ...etc. has been successful ....or;
make sure all xfce/.xfce files and directories are moved out of
your user/home directory and then try reinstalling the sourceforge rpm.

Let us know when you meet with success !!!
--
William Bouterse
Talkeetna, Ak.