[Xfce-i18n] Getting started with translations (Dutch)

Pjotr Vertaalt pjotrvertaalt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 10:15:53 CET 2020

Hello Elishai,

First of all: thanks for participating in this discussion in a
respectful and constructive way. Rather a relief after the insults of
yesterday....

You're quite right in what you say. It's a community effort by
volunteers and nobody owns it. Which is very good, among other things
because it decreases the vulnerability of the project.

But this immediately raises the question: how to prevent potential
damage? In the end, the translation quality isn't served by simply
letting everybody that wants to, loose on the translations.

Some sort of quality control is essential, I think. Certainly after a
translation has reached the 100 % mark.

One can also see that in other open source projects. GitHub is even
especially structured for that: anybody can make a *pull request* for
code for a GitHub project, but not everybody can *commit* that code.

Unfortunately, Transifex isn't as well equipped for dealing with the
difference between "pull requests" and "commits" as, for instance,
Launchpad is. That's why I invite people who want changes in existing
Dutch Xfce translations, to *email* me their improvement propositions.

Email doesn't have to be as clumsy an instrument as it may seem, by
the way; you can also pull the .po file of the package you wish to
alter from Transifex, edit it locally with Poedit and add the edited
.po file as attachment to your email.

I repeat: I welcome all improvement suggestions. I can assure
everybody that I'll treat those with the respect and the open mind
that they deserve.

Regards, Pjotr.