[Xfce-i18n] Question on which ngettext best to use in thunar

Alex acs82 at gmx.de
Sat Aug 22 00:59:17 CEST 2020

Hi all,

Reuben Green just found out that for en_GB (and possible others) "Open
in %d New _Tabs"  and "Open in %d New _Windows"  does not show the
number of selected folders since thunar 1.8.15.

Here the Issue: https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/-/merge_requests/28

I guess that is, because I now use:

ngettext ("Open in New _Tab", "Open in %d New _Tabs",
launcher->n_selected_files)

over the old

ngettext ("Open in %d New _Tab", "Open in %d New _Tabs",
launcher->n_selected_files)

If I remeber correctly I did so because I had some trouble to prevent
getting a number in the singular form. Though for Reuben the old
ngettext seems to be perfectly fine.

It looks like e.g. "de.po", which I usually use, already adepted to the
new ngettext.

The new form looks more clear to me, though I dont know much about
advantages/disadvantages on the translator side. That's why thought it
would be a good idea to bring up that issue on this mailing list. Which
ngettext would you prefer ?

Thanks & Cheers,

Alexander Schwinn (alexxcons)