[Xfce-i18n] xfce4-weather-plugin: timezone issues hopefully fixed

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri Feb 1 17:01:22 CET 2013

Hi,

First the bad news: Although I didn't want to change anything
code-related, I still did. For you translators, this means a bit more
work (just minor adaptations to two or three existing messages and about
3 new messages to translate).

Now the good news: It seems I've found a rather easy way to fix the
timezone problems people have been reporting. Instead of doing
complicated timezone calculations (which I wanted to delay for 0.8.4), I
decided to let the plugin work in another timezone by simply setting an
environment variable. This makes it possible to choose any location, and
the plugin will show all times using the timezone of that location.

The summary window subtitle now contains the current local time at the
location, which gives you a good reference for the other times. As a
bonus, you can use the plugin as a world clock ;-)

The TZ environment variable should be available in POSIX-compliant
systems, see
http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html.
Although all my tests on my GNU/Linux system have shown nice results, I
hope these changes do not break the plugin for users of other systems.
If no timezone is provided, the plugin will usually fallback to using
the local timezone, which results in the behaviour we had until now. I
found that if the entry is invalid, UTC will be used.

Sorry for breaking string freeze, but I think it is worth it. The
upcoming release will certainly not happen before the 18th of February.
If you find any problems with the strings, please report them in bug
#9770. For other problems please file a new bug.

I have regenerated all po files, but if you have uncommitted translation
work, please follow the instructions for translators in the README.
Also, please check your po files before uploading them so they do not
break compilation. Information how to do this is available in the
README, too.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'