[Xfce-i18n] Documentation wiki on docs.xfce.org

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Mon Jan 2 17:51:07 CET 2012

Am 02.01.2012 08:56, schrieb Nick Schermer:
> I've pushed a branch with a function xfce_dialog_show_help()
> applications can use to redirect to the documentation website. Doesn't
> work yet (server side), but comments on the api are appreciated.

http://git.xfce.org/xfce/libxfce4ui/tree/libxfce4ui/xfce-dialogs.c?h=nick/docs#n112

Midori has actually been using wiki-based documentation for while now.
Basically the __export version of the HTML, with the <link
rel=stylesheet> replaced with a custom stylesheet. Offline docs can be
installed, otherwise online docs are opened. From my experience this has
worked quite well, the number of updates increased greatly.

So far translations were never included because it is next to impossible
to make sure they include the latest updates. Will the proposed approach
handle this? A way to automatically mark sections which changed
analogous to fuzzy strings would be nice.

How about using a GIO scheme for this, similar to what GNOME is doing?

Evince for example opens ghelp:evince, or falls back to
http://library.gnome.org/users/evince/stable/ .

Similarly ghelp:gnome-help#a11y resolves to
http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-help/stable/a11y.html.en .

You could make it xfcehelp:thunar?page=2&offset=6 or xfcehelp:thunar#volman

The  'xfcehelp' scheme could be implemented as a small helper
application which automatically adds the version and falls back to the
online wiki page otherwise.
This would also leave the door open for using a dedicated offline viewer
like yelp.

Personally I would leave out the confirmation, if there's no offline
docs simply open the browser.