[Xfce-i18n] Fw: Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.1 released (Harald Judt)

Raphael Groner raphgro at web.de
Tue Aug 7 14:56:53 CEST 2012

{…}

http://www.xfce.org/about/releasemodel

> As the plugin is still very much work-in-progress, I plan to do
> releases more often or at least stick to the current frequency,
> because in the current state of development quite a lot of bug fixes
> will be necessary, and I guess it's no fun for package maintainers to
> play catch-up or back-port patches. I guess distributions who prefer
> more stable packages will delay updates a bit longer anyway.

Maybe think about another version then. Please define what the 1 in
0.8.1 means exactly. Should packagers then care about x+1 to version
z.y.x?

> Another reason is that more people will be able to test new features
> and report problems or share their opinions on the way things are
> implemented. It could mean a lot more work if that happens later on.
> Most people will not want to compile their own package from git, so
> the only way to get it tested is to release new packages. (Not that I
> don't do my own tests before each release, but there may be bugs I
> cannot reproduce).

Don't try to kid distributions and put the workload on the individual
maintainers and all the users with nervous updates behaviour.

> To conclude, even if some version has not been translated by the time
> I do the release, users should not have to wait very long for an
> updated version in their language.

Well, again. This is the job of a maintainer. He would always be able
to get a newer po file from Transifex. Though, that should not change
anything about a (short) string freeze phase before an official new
release.

Translators need time to detect the need and think about new
translations. I don't look into git or Transifex every day. A short
notification mail to xfce-i18n should ease our job a lot, yeah.

{…}
> Please define "lightweight". It is meant primarily as a replacement
> for the scrollbox which users will be able to hide in a future
> version to save valuable space in the panel (feature request). You're
> welcome to participate and state ideas for improvements. The more
> precise, the better ;-)

That's offtopic here for i18n. Maybe that should go to Xfce marketing.

> Harald

Raphael