[Xfce-i18n] Documentation wiki on docs.xfce.org

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 09:48:09 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In the feature we can look to get regular pulls from the wiki into the
>> xfce4-docs page so we can still ship offline versions. Not impossible
>> to automate this on the server (daily tarball generation or something
>> like that) and can also adjust the function in point 5 easily to
>> handle this.
>
> Dokuwiki provides HTML exports, for example:
> http://wiki.xfce.org/tips?do=export_xhtml / export_raw
> http://wiki.xfce.org/_export/xhtml/tips (alternative url)
>
> ...but you still miss the images offline.

This is easy on the server, no need for a plugin here.

>> Another discussion point will be versions of the docs (for 4.8, 4.10
>> etc). I don't think this is much of a problem for now, but we can
>> always branch on the wiki, so we get the following layout (following
>> git and archive):
>>
>> /xfce/getting-started
>> /xfce/xfce4-panel
>> /xfce/xfce4-panel/clock
>> /xfce/xfce4-panel/preferences
>> /xfce/xfce4-settings
>> /xfce/xfce4-settings/appearance
>> /apps/ristretto
>> /panel-plugins/
>> /<lang>/xfce/xfce4-panel
>> /<lang>/....
>>
>> Then in the future we can copy the "master" docs to
>> /xfce/4.10/xfce4-panel if needed.
>
> I would rather see the master version (and older versions) in a
> subpath, and keep the stable version visible by default:
> /<lang>/<class>/<project-name>[/master|/4.6|/4.4|...]

Advantage of /class/version/project is that relative namespace links
keep working if you copy the pages. So if you point from
/xfce/gettingstarted to [[.:xfce4-panel:launcher]] the link is still
working if you branch the pages into /xfce/4.8/.

So for core this is a good idea, standalone apps can decide otherwise,
but for the automated redirection and consistency it is better to do
this as well.

Also note that for example the goodies/panel-plugin you could work
with 1 doc for multiple versions easily. It is not a shame to note
"Since version 4.10 you can configure this...". That is easier to
maintain then multiple version since there are not a lot of changes
each release.

> We can also include a plugin (write our own) that checks for other
> versions in the subpaths and display them on the page.

Possibly, but the redirection function takes care of that + some
creative linking.

Nick