[Xfce-i18n] About German translations

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Mon Oct 20 18:59:24 CEST 2008

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:29:16 +0200, Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de>
wrote:

>> > 	Ah yes, when there are 20 strings marked fuzzy and you
>> > repair one by one, some msgstrings might stay unchanged with the
>> > colon left or removed -- part of the revisioning process.
>>
>> Ideally you'd translate, then install the translations and see how
>> they look in the actual UI. If you do that, you'll notice the
>> differences.
>
>Sure, and you note roughly 80 to 99 percent of the changes and
>mistakes, and you don't see everyone, you will also not see every

So we agree that it is important to test translation at first.
And for those strings which are not easy to test like in error messages
or if the translator doesn't know at all where they are used, there is
also the possibility to ask the authors of the code for help.
I'm personally used to check the source code to get the context where a
string is used I'm not sure how to translate.
And based on my experiences when translating anything, I like to add
translator comments in my own code if I think a string might be unclear
for translators, this should help as well in general.

>string simply because you're human.

Yeah, the most biggest problem...:)
We are all tended to make mistakes and even don't realise them. What a
luck we have machines to make our daily life easier. Once we can get
them to automatically find all of our usual mistakes, life will be
better or end completely (welcome to the Matrix :D).

Regards,
Enrico