[Xfce-i18n] About capitalisation

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Wed Oct 15 23:17:37 CEST 2008

Am Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:18:09 +0300
schrieb Stavros Giannouris <stavrosg at hellug.gr>:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 14:50:43 -0400
> "Og Maciel" <ogmaciel at gnome.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > The Brazilian GNOME translation team has decided to update every
> > single application to *not* use the "capitalization" style,
> > following instead the Brazilian Portuguese style of only using caps
> > at the start of sentences and other instances (names of countries,
> > etc). I have strived to apply the same style to the XFCE
> > translations as well.
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> I did the same for Greek, as this is exactly how it should be done
> around here, too.
> It may be a lot of effort if it is done otherwise, but if non
> capitalised application names etc is the correct way grammaticaly, I
> think it should be done.

For the record, in the case of German, there is no artificial
capitalization comparable to English. Granted nouns are always
capitalized, everything else is written in lower case, just the same as
any arbitrary written text.

As far as I'm aware, Spanish doesn't normally do any capitalization
either apart from what the normal flow suggests and how you usually
would write a word or sentence.

I personally find myself even slightly uncomfortable using English
style capitalization, again, in all contexts. It is worth noting
that English also capitalizes outside of programme interfaces.

For what I want, I would not newly introduce this style.

Yours,
    Christian