[Xfce-i18n] Xfce-power-manager: Is this an error?

Brian J. Tarricone kelnos at xfce.org
Wed Nov 5 20:38:38 CET 2008

Christian Dywan wrote:
> Am Tue, 04 Nov 2008 11:10:35 -0800
> schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <kelnos at xfce.org>:
>
>> Christian Dywan wrote:

>>> That is not true. -v can mean --verbose but it does actually mean
>>> --version in lots of applications, including famous ones like Thunar
>>> and Terminal.
>> Then Thunar and Terminal should be fixed.  Look at any GNU app and
>> you'll see that -V is the standard for version, -v for verbose.
>
> That is still but a whishful thought. -v is --version in lots of other
> applications, and no less standard than the alternative.

Actually, that's not true.  I just grepped through the man pages on my
system, and I came up with 49 clear cases of -V as version, and only 9
of -v as version.  I was a bit overly restrictive in my regex, so I'm
sure I miss a bunch on both sides of the issue, but the law of averages
seems to suggest the proportion here isn't completely off.

> Compare to the usage of --help, -? and -h. You will have even less luck
> with suggesting that any of those is 'standard'

Not relevant.  We're talking about two short options that can mean two
different things (-V and -v, version and verbose).  --help is always
help.  -? is always help.  -h is almost always help.  There's no
confusion here, aside from apps that just don't accept one or the other.
Notable exceptions are -h in 'df', 'du', 'ls', etc.  But I've never seen
an app use --help or -? for anything other than help.

Relevant point: I'm making an executive decision: Xfce core apps shall
use -V to mean --version, and -v to mean --verbose.  Obviously goodies
can do what they want, but I'd urge them to follow this convention as well.

	-brian