[Xfce-i18n] should console messages be translated?

Kristjan Siimson kristjan.siimson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:04:17 CEST 2008

2008/7/23 Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com>:

> How can a translator know if it's a console message or not? Indeed
> they can't. The string might even be used multiple times (in both
> console and gui). The only thing is, if you use error messages from
> (for exaple) glib, then they are translated. So it could result in a
> half translated message.

Sure they can! There are various ways for commenting messages, at least one
created for specifically this purpose - separating the comment and string
with |, for example Tooltip|Create CD.
Now this leads this to something I wanted to say earlier. I think if a
string appears in multiple locations, they should be separate entries, even
if they are the same in English. In some languages, the forms of names in
tooltips and toolbar buttons may (and does) differ, for example.
~Kristjan