[Xfce-i18n] Newbie translator question

Maximilian Schleiss maxschleiss at bluewin.ch
Tue Nov 14 17:57:26 CET 2006

Gunther Furtado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is my first post so: hello everybody!

Hi Gunther,

welcome to the mailing-list.

> Where can I find info about how to perform tests in translated po files?

You could start at the i18n.xfce.org web page some very useful
information is to be found there as well as scripts to create the
working SVN directories you will need to translate Xfce to your language.

To answer your question, POedit, the only app I use so I can't tell for
the others but they most probably have the same feature, can generate a
.mo file that you have to rename to the PACKAGE.mo file you were working
on and place it in /usr/share/locale/ADD_YOUR_LANGUAGE_HERE/LC_MESSAGES/
. This replaces the actual translated file with your translation so you
just need to launch the application to verify your work.

> Thank you,

You're welcome.
HTH,
Max.