[Xfce-i18n] [FR] New translator wants to help

Alexandre Patenaude alexandre.patenaude at gmail.com
Sun May 21 05:28:05 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've recently installed Xubuntu (Xfce 4.4 is really amazing!) and found some
French translation errors of strings that are not translated.  I'd like to
help getting the work done :)

I've read http://i18n.xfce.org, but I don't understand everything.  I've
never really used SVN, it's new to me.  I've done some things on Rosetta to
help working on some other softwares in GNOME, I like this web interface, I
find it user-friendly.  But after reading
http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce-i18n/2006-May/004337.html and the
replies, I understand why Xfce-i18n is reticent to go with Rosetta.  So, I
would like to know more about how to work on Xfce translation.

1. I have succesfully downloaded the .po files on my hard disk.  What's
next, do I just edit the files using a PO editor? Or do I have to copy them
somewhere else, in another folder than the one used to sync with the SVN
repo?  Because I guess that when I will SVN update the .po files, the work I
would have done in the files would be crushed...?

2. Do I have to post in the mailing-list about which file I am working on
before I start editing it?  Or do I just edit it the way I think and mail
the modified file?  What about two people editing the same file at the same
time?

3. It is mentionned that I have to send a patch generated by the diff
command, and not the complete .po file?  How do I use it?

I hope it's not too newbie questions for you :P

Thanks,

Alexandre