[Xfce-i18n] A bunch of new strings in exo (0.3.1.7svn)

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun May 7 00:02:06 CEST 2006

Hello translators,

Due to the import of the "Create Launcher" utility, there are a bunch of
new strings in exo. There shouldn't be any major changes/additions of
strings for BETA2, so feel free to translate the stuff. ;-)

I added translator hints which should make it easier to locate the
strings in the GUI.

Also, the german translations are missing a few strings where I'm not
sure how to translate them best (mostly the exo-desktop-item-edit --help
translations, which is tricky, since it must fit into one line, due to
GOption's inability to properly wrap strings). Fabian, Jannis, can you
have a look and suggest translations?

One thing I noticed while testing some other locales is that for example
the "Preferred Applications" dialog is too wide in some locales (i.e. in
the el translations). In most of the cases you can avoid this problem by
inserting additional '\n's into the translation. You don't need to use
exactly the same number of lines as the english original. Instead, look
at the GUI with the english original strings and try to translate the
strings so that the width/height-ratio of the translated GUI is about
the same.

I know there are some difficult to translate strings, like "Select
default applications for various services". For example this string
cannot be translated to german in a sane way (or atleast I cannot
translate it) because "services" is different; therefore the german
string is just for "Select default applications" (->
"Standardanwendungen auswählen"). Ok, long story... What I'm trying to
say: Don't try to match the original string to closely if it doesn't
make sense for you language. ;-)

Have fun,
Benedikt