[Xfce-i18n] Polish translation update for trunk

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Tue May 2 16:12:59 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2 May 2006 13:31:38 +0200
Robert Kurowski wrote:

> Well, why not use some tools for translations? gtranslator i.e.
> solves such problems I gues. By the way. I've noticed today
> there's something like launchpad.net. There's a web-based tool
> (rosetta) for colaborative translations. Very coool. Daichi?

There's no solid rules about the tools for a translation but
some recommends (from http://i18n.xfce.org/wiki/translation_software):

  * Emacs with PO mode - Major mode for GNU gettext PO files.
      http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/gettext_10.html
  * Vim with po.vim - A ftplugin for easier editing of GNU gettext PO files.
  * poEdit - A cross-platform gettext catalogs editor.
      http://www.poedit.org/
  * gtranslator - The GNOME 2.x translation making program.
      http://gtranslator.sourceforge.net/
  * KBabel - An advanced and easy to use PO-file editor.
      http://i18n.kde.org/tools/kbabel/

In my personal opinion, I won't force translators to use the
certain tools/method (except a commit procedure), and still have
a hesitate to adopt such web-based/groupware-like method you're
recommending in Xfce because without a responsibility taker,
it'll turn a bunch of messes whether easy or hard to translate/
a talented translator there is or not.

Please try them in your language team (Polish) if possible
(I don't know it's easy to set though), then give us your reports
how it works/appears, probably the more Xfce will be wide-spread,
the more a demand on easy-to-translate will increase, I know it
may be time to migrate.

FYI, as far as I know, both of Italian and Russian teams have
an another way to translate, they may have an opinion as well.

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt