[Xfce-i18n] Questions about [po-doc] of Terminal with xfce-i18n

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Fri Jun 2 07:04:10 CEST 2006

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:41:53 +0800
Cosmo Chene wrote:

> Hello, I am a translator of zh_TW(Traditional Chinese).

Hello, please use xfce-i18n ML unless you want to know
my gender/age/income/private operations on going.

> I've noticed that in Terminal/trunk have only one non-/C
> po-doc with ja's translations.
> Since I've finished the po-doc of Thunar, now I want to
> start the po-doc of Terminal.
>
> But this time I got no po-doc's pot in the Terminal/trunk.
> However, I know one util called xml2po can help me to
> generate a pot for my translations.

If you, translators, want I can import Terminal.pot to the
repository.

> While I [svn co] the Terminal/trunk,I entered into the doc
> folder ~/C, there are some files with one subfolder[images],
> As some(most?) of our community's n newbies are not so
> familiar with English, I even want screenshot images come
> with zh_TW interface.

You're correct, that `image' folder is supposed to store
localized screenshots for the users in that language.
The reason `doc/ja/images' has English screenshots is

  a. I'm lazy.
  b. I'm still lazy.
  c. I'd like to be lazy.
  d. I'm going to be lazy.

or I'm waiting for both of the strings and theme (defaults
in Xfce 4.4) finally get official (I don't want to take a
screenshot again and again).

> Cause I am using Xubuntu, I can use many svn applications,
> they also already come with zh_TW interfaces.
>
> My questions is about the steps of my po-doc translations:
> If I want finally the manual come with zh_TW translations
> and screenshot images with zh_TW interfaces.
>
> Maybe "first" should I grab all the images in my locale?

You should revise the translation first; check the consistency
all over the translations in Traditional Chinese in Xfce,
then try to translate the user manual, after that, try to
take the screenshots.

There's no handy `screen-shooter' for the images used in the
user manual, you have to take care of the order above,
otherwise your works can be useless.

> And then I run the xml2po and start the doc's l10n?
> Is my thinking correct?

It's up to you, I only want;

  a. PO file translated.
  b. Screenshots in that language.

> I feel that no pot is also a good thing with po-doc, it
> maybe remains the flexibility of l10n-images.

Under the current mechanism, if Benedikt will change the
images in C, a line corresponding to the image in zh_TW.po
will get `fuzzy', therefore, you can know which image
will be needed to retake.

> Does it mean if I grab all the l10-images and replace
> the C's images, and done the translations of po-doc,
> then I could finally have a completely l10n Terminal-Manual?

Probably, sometimes, a completeness requests that original
document should be revised.

> Thanks for you time. It would be very helpful of your
> replying.

Your translations are welcomed, keep your efforts.

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt