[Xfce-i18n] how can I switch the interface to my language

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Tue Jan 31 10:30:43 CET 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:51:37 +0600
மு.மயூரன் wrote:

> Hey,

Hi,

> I have a serious doubt on xfce i18ns..
> how can I get and install these packages on my desktop?

Unlike KDE, Xfce adopts an integrated source tree,
i.e. PO files are located in the each po directories,
which are created by glib-gettextize, of course
Autotools are used as well. Therefore if you're expecting
a `install' as 'make install', you need to install
xfce4-dev-tools (Autotools) at first. See

  http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en

for compilation order.

An alternative way is that manual install with the
commands below:

  $ msgfmt -c -o $gettext_domain.mo vi.po
  # cp $gettext_domain.mo /usr/share/local/vi/LC_MESSAGES

`#' means you're root user. You have to grab PO files
before by using a script at

  http://i18n.xfce.org/wiki/svn_howto

> and, how can I switch the interface to my language/

As far as I know, there's no way to switch a language
on-the-fly. Check your `locale', if that shows your
locale value (e.g. LANG/LC_ALL=vi.UTF-8 or the like),
then you're just seeing a English message due to lack
of installed .mo files.

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt