[Xfce-i18n] Thunar nl.po file

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Wed Jan 11 13:28:59 CET 2006

Hi Stijn,

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:29:33 +0100
Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> > > Can anyone tell me where I have to start? I would like to
> > > translate Thunar to Dutch, but how do I create an nl.po
> > > file? I tried taking the french file and opening it in
> > > poEdit but it only wants to translate into french :-/.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help!
> >
> > This question *should* have been answered on the
> > FAQ: http://i18n.xfce.org/
> >
> > But since it's not there, I kindly urge someone to either
> > post the answer here (and I'll merge it on the wiki) or post
> > a proper way on both the ML and the wiki themselves.
> >
> > Unfortunately I forgot this myself.
> >
> > anyone?
>
> cd po ; gmake update-po
>
> This should produce a new file Thunar.pot. Rename that file
> to nl.po and start editing.

If you're using gettext 0.11 (Jan. 2002) or above, I'd
recommend:

  $ ./autogen.sh
  $ cd po
  $ gmake update-po
  $ msginit --locale=nl
  $ iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 nl.po > nl.po.utf8
  $ mv nl.po.utf8 nl.po

And if you're kind enough, you'll modify initial copyright
strings following the others, however note that, poEdit
doesn't allow initial comment edits, you'll have to use a
text editor.

As far as I know, there's no wonderful way to create the initial
file via GUI tools, to enable this, a template file and standards
might be required.

Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
Country Codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt