[Xfce-i18n] xfce4-xfapplet-plugin 0.0.1

Adriano Winter Bess awbess at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:46:00 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 07:52:15PM +0900, Daichi Kawahata wrote:
> Hi Adriano,

Hi Daichi,

> Please check this patch out.

I've checked the patch, seems OK. Thanks a lot! I just did not commit it yet
because I'm still not sure about the best way to solve translations for the xml
UI file (XFCE_Panel_Popup.xml). As all of you who have already used
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin probably noticed, the plugin does UI merging between the
regular panel popup menu and the Gnome applet popup menu, so that when one
right clicks the applet on the panel, both Xfce Panel and the Gnome applet menu
items are shown. This UI merging is acomplished through the XFCE_Panel_Popup.xml
file.

For consistency, I would like that translations for strings in
XFCE_Panel_Popup.xml be exactly the same as they are for libxfcepanel4 (in
xfce4-panel sources). This is really a problem, as both the plugin and
xfce4-panel may be translated by different people. There are basically two ways
to do this:
1. Before adjusting the UI merging, I think I could use
	xfce_textdomain ("xfce4-panel", ...);
   so that strings in the XML file would not need to be translated at all,
   translations would come from xfce4-panel package (in fact, this already
   happend on current xfce4-xfapplet-plugin, i.e., without your patch). The
   problem is the following: xfce_textdomain() demands the package localedir
   directory, and I don't know how I can figure out xfce4-panel locale directory
   neither on compile time nor on runtime;
2. Do exactly as your patch does, but remind translators that they should
   translate those strings exactly as they were translated in libxfcepanel4. In
   source code it's possible to put a comment before the line which contains the
   translation so that this comment will be extracted to PO files to give
   translators a special hint. How could I do this to XML files?

In my opinion, solution number 1 is more elegant, but I don't know exactly how
it can be achieved.

PS: xfce4-xfapplet-plugin still lacks a POT file because strings are still
likely to change.

Regards,
Adriano
--