[Xfce-i18n] daily translations builds ?

Stavros Giannouris stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr
Sun Apr 30 23:55:21 CEST 2006

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:41:32 -0700 (PDT)
Dotan Kamber <kamberd at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Stavros Giannouris <stavrosg2002 at freemail.gr>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:37:21 +0000
> > "piotr maliñski" <riklaunim at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > There can be separate packages for translations
> > like KDE has ->
> > > kde-i18n. If we build packages with *mo
> > translations files for each
> > > language distro maintainers could convert them to
> > their linux/unix
> > > packages easily. They would just overwrite/update
> > existing
> > > translations.
> > >

> > This is how KDE does it, but they also bundle many
> > programs in a
> > single "package" or "module" so they can get away
> > with seperating the
> > i18n stuff. This method is not what Xfce does, and
> > certainly cannot be
> > followed.
>
> I'm missing the problem here - the .mo files take
> neglectable amount of HD space and do no harm if not
> used.
> That could be a nice service upgrade for users of
> stable versions.

There are at least two reasons that this is difficult to be done:

1. Xfce is quite modular, and the user is expected to install only the
modules he/she desires. Bundling the translations in bigger sets would
be against this, and providing a seperate package for just those
packages would be an overkill.

2. File conflicts between packages. 'nuff said.

Stavros Giannouris                          Jabber: stavrosg at jabber.org

"Hello. I'm a signature virus.
Just copy me to your signature  to help me spread"