[Xfce-i18n] translation statistics update

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Wed Sep 14 13:35:13 CEST 2005

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:21:19 -0700
Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> The error checking is a bit odd.  I'll try to explain. Originally,
> I was using the commandline:
> msgfmt --use-fuzzy --statistics -c -o $lang.gmo $lang

In my opinion, '--use-fuzzy' may be redundant i.e.

  msgfmt --statistics [-c] -o /dev/null $lang

will just output required statistics.

> However, that resulted in nastiness: the vast majority of the
> translations failed to parse.  The '-c' option is the problem: it
> causes msgfmt to be *very* anal: it checks format strings, the file
> header, and some other stuff, which is (apparently) often not-quite-
> correct, but it doesn't necessarily really matter too much (i.e.,
> the translation will still work regardless).

I believe there's no longer such errors emitted by '-c' option,
the reason I had been fixing them was that such bunch of non-fatal
errors will hide the actual fatal errors (i.e. imagine if msgstr has
'%s' while msgid has '%d' but it was hard to notice in the tons of
errors, it was important to fix albeit there was only 1 of 100 error).

PS. How about Orage (orage), instead of xfcalendar? but considering
that repository name is still as-is, that might be up to Graf, Auke.
Also ku will be Kurdish (ku).

Daichi

language codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm
country codes: http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/related/iso3166.txt