[Xfce-i18n] pt_BR translations update

Adriano Winter Bess awbess at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 23:54:37 CET 2005

Hello,

Attached to this message are pt_BR translations update for libxfce4gui and
mousepad against trunk.

Just some things I would like to point out:
o I was trying to `make update-po' with libxfce4gui (I don't think it was really
  necessary, but anyway I'm trying to learn a bit about the translation process)
  when I got the following:
  adriano at zion:~/xfce-dev/i18n/xfce-trunk/libxfcegui4/po$ make update-po
  make libxfcegui4.pot
  make[1]: Entering directory
  `/home/adriano/xfce-dev/i18n/xfce-trunk/libxfcegui4/po'
  make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../libxfcegui4/netk-enum-types.c', needed
  by `libxfcegui4.pot'.  Stop.
  make[1]: Leaving directory
  `/home/adriano/xfce-dev/i18n/xfce-trunk/libxfcegui4/po'
  make: *** [update-po] Error 2
o for mousepad, there's a string in the program which says "Word wrap". To me it
  seems much more like "Line wrap" (at least according to the way the program
  actually responds to this option in the program GUI). Please correct me if
  this is just about my poor understanding of english ;)
o still in mousepad, I found myself translating the follwoing string: "Cannot
  open pipe to process". This made me remember of a book that I once read ("User
  Interface Desing for Programmers" by Joel Spolsky) about GUI design which talked
  about good practices about how to report things (specially errors) to users.
  Well, I know what a pipe is and what the message is about. Translating it to
  portuguese was really no problem. But anyway, I was wondering what my father
  would think if he saw a message such as this one ;) I just wanted to discuss
  this point here because I think it would be a very nice idea to have
  guidelines for this kind of thing, specially if we plan that people which are
  not completely aware of all *nix jargon (such as "pipes") can use the sofware
  without been scared about it.

Besides these, I also have two questions:
1) when translating a file that has already been translated by another person,
   what is the common practice for copyright statements? and for "Last Translator"
   statement?
2) Is it still worth to translate things in the 4.2 branch? I mean, will we have
   another 4.2.x release?

Regards,
Adriano
--