[Xfce-i18n] Re: I'd like to help with polish translation.

Daichi Kawahata daichi.k at aioros.ocn.ne.jp
Tue Feb 22 16:19:24 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:24:55 +0100
Marcus wrote:

> Hi.

Hello,

> I would like to help with polish translation, but I'm a newbie
> with using diff and all that technical stuff. If anybody who is
> involved in polish translations could contact me and help I would
> be most grateful. Thanks.

Well, I'm not Polish person but there seems nobody active translator.
Before having translation, it might be helpful to get related stuffs:

  o GNU libiconv (latest version is 1.9.2)
  o GNU gettext-tools (0.14.1)
  o One of Unicode-capable text editor (Emacs, poEdit, gedit etc.)

I think you have already these stuffs though, I'd recommend Emacs
with 'po-mode' (including gettext-tools) or poEdit (it requires GTK
version of wxWidgets) for translation personally, since both have a
specific future for editing .po file.

Then, step of translation is:

  o Make a pl.po file

    $ cp package.pot pl.po or
    $ msginit

    in the po directory.

  o Modify header fields

    If it left as it is, error will be occurred at compile-time.
    Especially if '.fuzzy' tag keeps as it is, your translation
    doesn't effect at all, simply delete this line when you had
    certain translation. Also it's important that codeset used
    in the PO file should be UTF-8 rather than your native one.

  o Translate each msgstr fields

  o Check translation whether is valid

    $ msgfmt -c --statistics pl.po -o po.gmo
    If error occurred, fix that.

  o Submit to this ML

    Jean says there is no need diff-patch, you'll simply attach
    entire PO file, sometimes (tar +) gzipped one. If you made a
    large attachment file, note that this ML has size limit per
    one mail (80KB), I was rejected at once ;), so in that case
    you'll have to separate that into 2-3 mails.

Have a nice translation!
--
Daichi