[Xfce-i18n] translation statistics update

Brian J. Tarricone kelnos at xfce.org
Sun Aug 21 10:21:19 CEST 2005

Hash: SHA1

Hi all,

I added a feature to the translation statistics page[1]: if there was an
error parsing the file, you can click on the notice about the error to
see the error output.

If you're lazy, and don't care about some extra information about common
errors in .po files, feel free to stop reading here.

The error checking is a bit odd.  I'll try to explain. Originally, I was
using the commandline:
msgfmt --use-fuzzy --statistics -c -o $lang.gmo $lang
However, that resulted in nastiness: the vast majority of the
translations failed to parse.  The '-c' option is the problem: it causes
msgfmt to be *very* anal: it checks format strings, the file header, and
some other stuff, which is (apparently) often not-quite-correct, but it
doesn't necessarily really matter too much (i.e., the translation will
still work regardless).

So I removed '-c'.  There's one error (well, that I know of), that
msgfmt can't ignore (AFAICT): if the original string has a '\n'
character at the end and the translated string doesn't (and vice versa),
msgfmt will fail with an error.

So, bottom line is this: if your translation has the '\n' error, I
re-run msgfmt *with* the '-c' option, and that's the error output you
see.  It's more informative that way.  However, that means that, just
because your translation shows up on the page without errors, it doesn't
mean that you don't have errors that '-c' checks for.

So, in closing... before you submit a translation, I recommend that you
run the msgfmt commandline I have up above (including '-c') to check
your work.  It'll save people like Daichi and Stavros a bit of time.

Ok, time to stop babbling.


[1] http://xfce.org/~kelnos/i18n/

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)


More information about the Xfce-i18n mailing list