[Xfce-i18n] Desktop files

Brian J. Tarricone kelnos at xfce.org
Mon Dec 13 18:11:52 CET 2004

Peeter Vois wrote:

> How would it be nice to send translated *.desktop files? Our team has
> its own repository for translations. So, the link to the common
> original file in the XFCE repository is lost. Making diff with the
> latest file from XFCE repository will not work, because if somebody
> has added another language in between, the diff would remove it.

i'm not sure why you need your own repository, though i can see why it
might be useful.  regardless, you'll need to sync at least the ,desktop
files with current xfce CVS, and submit a diff against that.  i'm not
sure if there's a good automated way of doing that, however.  perhaps
you could write a script to:
1) check the .desktop file out of your private tree
2) copy it to the xfce public tree in the proper location
3) run cvs update to merge changes from the public tree
4) run cvs diff to get a diff against the official file

i'm not sure how effective that would be.  you may have to do some
manual merging sometimes.  since the .desktop file translation needs are
only 2-3 lines per file, it may be easiest to either not keep them in
your private repository, or always fetch the public version to
translate, and then update your private tree after doing that.  it
shouldn't really be much of a big deal; i wouldn't expect the english
portion of the .desktop files to change at all from this point on.  (go
ahead, somebody change theirs just to prove me wrong ^_~.)

thanks,
brian