pinboard

Benjamin Rich benxor at cracksmokingducks.com
Fri Jan 23 02:01:00 CET 2004

This is probably an old question, but I'm still wondering when XFCE
might have it's own pinboard app?

xfce.org seems to recommend using ROX-Filer or some other pinboard in
the mean time, but Rox just barely cuts the mustard - it's file manager
is annoying, you can't define the size of it's pinboard, and so on. The
only thing which makes it bearable is that a patch either to XFCE or ROX
recently now means that applications on the pinboard aren't bound to
their desktops of origin. So, an application minimized to the pinboard
in say, desktop 1 (if you're using 5 or 6 virtual desktops, as I do)
will maximize again when you click on it in desktop 3, without going
back to desktop 1 instead.

It seems odd that the two features in XFCE which are most needed to make
it complete, and also a true functional mirror of the original CDE, are
the very packages that aren't being released - session manager and
pinboard. The session manager is easily stable enough (I've been using
it from source since 0.1.1) but remains constantly masked in the portage
tree in gentoo (and unavailable elsewhere) - and of course there seems
to be no pinboard app at all.

Are there any plans to finally release a pinboard component for XFCE?
Even a simple copy+paste of the ROX-Filer code, with some tweaks to make
the icon size and placing boundries a little more bearable, I think
would be a perfect start. Nay, I shall even attempt to write this
particular component if anybody's with me on the notion.

So, anybody with me?

-Ben