Debugging Text / Font Problem

Bill Trenker wtrenker at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 20 00:41:14 CET 2004

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> The theme engine has nothing to do with font rendering.

Yes, I tried several themes.  But no text is showing up anywhere in xfce.  (I must say though that the icons are really elegant.)

Where does xfce get it's font definitions from?   Does xfce4 specify fonts in any of its settings files, or is it all left up to the GTK2 settings?   Are themes only for icons, or can a theme have different fonts?  I ask because all I see in the /usr/local/share/xfce4/themes subfolders for each theme are images (.png).  I've been looking through the various xfce4 settings files (menu.xml, xfce4rc, ~/.xfce4/settings/*) and haven't found anything about fonts.  But then I probably don't know where to look.

Anyway, I'm not giving up.  I'm continuing to use xfce4 as best I can even without the text. The desktop operation is great!  I just can't use the menus or change settings.

I really appreciate your advice.  If I'm abusing this list with my questions please let me know.

Regards,
Bill