xfprint4 dox

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 4 20:09:41 CET 2004

it wb v helpful for new users of Xfprint4
if there were some elementary documentation somewhere:
eg i ran into a problem trying to give it a name for my printer.

i found the solution by many trials & all-but-one as many errors.
apparently, you can call the printer whatever you like ('Alias'),
but the 'System name' is what you have to get right.
the default is 'lp' -- is there a reason for this ? -- ,
but the name needed is given in  /etc/cups/printers.conf :

  # Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.19
  # Written by cupsd on Tue Oct  7 04:31:55 2003
  <DefaultPrinter HP>
                  ^^ my emphasis
  Info HP DeskJet 500
  DeviceURI parallel:/dev/lp0
  State Idle
  Accepting Yes
  JobSheets none none
  QuotaPeriod 0
  PageLimit 0
  KLimit 0
  </Printer>

it's also what you get if you enter 'lpq': "HP is ready, no entries";
XPP says "Printers: HP: HP DeskJet 500, Foomatic + djet500",
which is the 'Nickname' in  /etc/ppd/HP.ppd .  so 'HP' does show up.

do you need a volunteer to write something ?  me ??

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca