Please test xfce-stable CVS

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Sep 2 17:57:53 CEST 2002

On 2 Sep 2002, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Don't use sudo, become root. It seems rpm has some problems when run
> with "sudo"

No -- There is no problem with rpm -=- The issue is one of
SUDO usage.  The process loses the root privlege when run as
set out as below.

   sudo ./configure && make rpm

loses root at the &&, and so is _trying_ to build as non-root
on the right portion.

When I built last night, I did as non-root -- here is a
snippet from my history:

  910  ./configure  && make rpm
  911  ls
  912  rpmbuild -ta xfce-3.8.18.tar.gz
  913  sudo scp
/home/herrold/redhat/SRPMS/xfce-3.8.18-1.src.rpm
/home/herrold/redhat/RPMS/i386/xfce-3.8.18-1.i386.rpm
root at new.owlriver.com:/home/ftp/pub/local/ORC/xfce/

where I was non-root during the build, as may be seen from the
location of the result files.

The base setup to allow building as non-root is documented, a
couple different says at:

    http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/buildtree/

It works and is the 'best practice' way to build -- it is a
simplified variant of how Red Hat itself builds, to avoid
polluting the root files of the buildhost.

-- Russ Herrold