Idea about extended menus

Edscott Wilson García edscott at imp.mx
Sun Mar 31 05:04:06 CEST 2002

On Sáb 30 Mar 2002 11:16, Alan Cox wrote:

> Nautilus treats the .desktop menu heirarchy as a seperate virtual file
> system (programs:)

Interesting... I noticed that gnome-vfs was necesary for nautilus and I wonder
if the .desktop virtual file system processing gets done with it.
It seems nautilus 1.06  is a bit buggy for the .desktop files because although
it can navigate through the gnome location (/usr/share/apps) it cannot do the
KDE tree (/opt/kde2/share/applnk).

Either way, (konqueror or nautilus) the way it works is very similar to what
xftree would need. Although some xftree functions (like touch, symlink,
duplicate, filter, tar and rpm processing and other stuff) might be
unnecesary while navigating a .desktop tree, and the code could be replaced
for the code necesary to create the virtual file system of the .desktop tree.
Maybe by some dynamic linking. Or maybe by allocating memory on the heap,
reading some binary stuff from the disk, casting the address as a function,
and sending the program flow off that way. If this could be done, I think it
could be made to work faster that dynamic linking. But I don't know if it is
possible to execute instructions that reside on the heap.

Edscott