Various Xftree problems

Joakim Andreasson joakim.andreasson at gmx.net
Thu Mar 28 02:23:03 CET 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:49:02 -0600
the words scribbled by Edscott Wilson García <edscott at imp.mx> were as follows:

> The problem is due to 2 things:
> 1- A weak local hostname configuration
> 2- Two different ways of obtaining client hostname by part of xftree.
>
> This makes for two different hostnames for your box. "localhost.localdomain"
> and "bethmoora". I just uploaded a fix to the CVS where the problem is now
> avoided by using a single method for obtaining hostname (relying on the
> WM_CLIENT_MACHINE atom).
>
> Please try the latest CVS. You should experience no scp/rsync attempt within
> the same host. And the window and icon titles should say "bethmoora" instead
> of "localhost.localdomain" (although Rox-2.0 will display the latter, no
> scp/rsync attempt should occur either).

Well, since I changed my configuration, I can't immediately reproduced the condition under which the problem occured, so... ;-) If you really want me to try, I could of course change my conf back, if so, just tell me. All I can say is that is does work under my current configuration.

> > After som experimenting (the original files that made Xftree crash are
> > deleted, since at least that was done befor the crashes) I found that it
> > really doesn't matter what characters there are in the filename, only how
> > long it is. A length of 112 characters works, 113 makes Xftree crash.
>
> I can't seem to reproduce it. Could you run xftree with gdb and get a
> traceback after the crash I could fix it quickly, i.e.,
> $ gdb xftree
> gdb> run
> [ do the stuff to get the crash ]
> gdb> bt

Ok, here it is pasted from my terminal (you can also see the dummy
filename that causes the crash):

[j at bethmoora xftree]$ touch $HOME/fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
[j at bethmoora xftree]$ gdb xftree
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux 7.x (5.0rh-15) (MI_OUT)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/src/xfce-stable/xftree/xftree

0x40390073 in strrchr () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
(gdb) bt
#0  0x40390073 in strrchr () from /lib/i686/libc.so.6
#1  0x00000000 in __strtol_internal (nptr=0x80d6200 "P8\r\bÌ\017\001",
    endptr=0x2, base=135320016, group=1)
(gdb)

I noticed that this only occures when I try to delete a file on my home partition and not anywhere else. So it is AFAIK the movement to the .xfce/.trash directory that fails, not deletion.