Nevermind (was: Re: OT: Need a little tcl/tk assistance)

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sat Jun 15 03:32:03 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 17:18, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Yes, sorry for not replying, but I know nothing about TCL/Tk

	That's ok, I understand.  It was just a shot in the dark.  Basically I
was to lazy to go find a tcl/tk list archive and wade through it.

	Just for fun let me run down what I've been playing with lately.  And
anyone who laughs out loud will get smacked up-side the head.  ;-)

	I have recently found some very fun development tools.  One is SpecTcl
<http://spectcl.sf.net>, a tcl/tk IDE.  It is a very easy to use yet
quite powerful.  You can write gui apps in just a few minutes.

	Another other is Greq <http://greq.berlios.de>, a very cool utility
that makes gtk+ dialogs in shell scripts.  I recommend that everyone
check this tool out.

	Lastly, and most importantly, theKompany has just come out with
something I have been wanting for ever.  The product is called Kobol
<http://www.thekompany.com/products/kobol> and it is a COBOL IDE that
runs on Linux and WinXX (I said no laughing!).  It's not open source but
it only runs $39 and no runtime fees.  The other "commercial" COBOL
products start at $2200 and up with serious runtime fees.  The open
source options, TinyCOBOL and OpenCOBOL (see freshmeat), are Ok but
still have a way to go.  I liken Kobol to Turbo C & Turbo Pascal.  I now
have a tool I can do some really fun stuff with that doesn't cost an arm
and a leg and my second born.  Man, I haven't been this excited since,
well, I don't know when.

	God I love hacking.  :-)

--
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.